I’ve modded a game
This morning, I managed to create a mod for Freecol, an open-source clone of Sid Meier’s Colonization.
The game is written in Java, but mods are implemented using scripts in the Extensible Markup Language (XML), which is a bit more readable; somebody once remarked on the Freecol site that requiring Java to mod the game is like requiring a degree in mechanical engineering to get a driving licence.
Anyway, what I did was to change the picture for the Petty Criminal unit, and then tweak them so that they can generate more ore while mining – they’re on a chain gang! Another unit, the veteran soldier, is even better at fighting but costs more to hire in Europe. So far, these work perfectly. 🙂
Another thing I’m trying is a way to repair artillery. When the artillery are damaged in-game, they turn into another piece of damaged artillery, and they can’t be fixed. What I’ve tried to do is set the armoury in a town to be able to “educate” the artillery into becoming a normal piece again. I have no idea if this will work, because I haven’t got damaged artillery while testing it so far.
But hey, the rest of it works. That’s a pretty good start.